Quote

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" St Augustine

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Volunteering in Kolkata, India



There are numerous reasons why so many people volunteer abroad every year. Some have a desire to travel, want to learn a new language, and meet new people. Others want to make a difference and gain a better understanding of the world. For me it was about all of these things, and the words of Mother Theresa had been in my heart for some time: “Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

Whilst volunteering at Calcutta Hope Boys Home, I had the opportunity to teach and play with the children, but also to be taught. I travelled, and was taken to many places. I made a difference, and yet was educated by most of the people I met. I taught English, and learnt a little Bengali and Hindi along the way. I developed lifelong relationships with the children at the home and the staff at SEED. I gave and received love, kindness and affection. We laughed, we cried, and we danced (India style!). It changed my life.
The children at the home have been street children, abandoned or treated so badly that they have been forced to leave home. Children traffickers have cruelly exploited some. They have been in danger from drugs, predators, disease and even their own family. Calcutta Hope Boys Home offers children a safe environment to grow. The children have become happy and healthy, and are finally realising their right in life – a childhood. Experiencing life with these children was rewarding in so many ways. The managers of the home – Bijoy and Mr Chadajee – care and love these children, as if they are their own. It is an inspirational environment for all.
There remain around 200,000 children living on the streets of Calcutta. It would be a wonderful thing if these children could become the lucky ones too…  www.calcuttahope.org.uk


Becky x

1 comment: